Miriam and I started trying to get pregnant right after we got married. After a few unsuccessful months of trying, we were puzzled. Could something be wrong, we wondered? After all, how hard can this be? Fortunately, just about that time Miriam’s brother recommended a wonderful book by Toni Weschler, called “Taking Charge of Your Fertility.” We were amazed by the wisdom and simplicity of the Fertility Awareness Method (FAM), a natural form of family planning, as well as how little we actually knew about the female and male reproductive systems.
We immediately started implementing FAM, charting fertility signs passionately with an Excel spreadsheet. And lo and behold, two months later we were pregnant with our first son.
Being a computer geek, I decided that for our next round we should be well prepared and equipped with an appropriate iPhone app that would make FAM charting easier. After I checked the market and didn’t find anything as simple and as intuitive as we wanted, I decided to write one by myself.
So what can you do with this app?
- Enrich your knowledge: read professional yet simple explanations about fertility indicators.
- Chart your biological signs to monitor your fertility on a day-to-day basis. Keep track of your menstrual period, basal body (waking) temperature, cervical fluid, sexual activity and take daily notes.
- Identify your most fertile days.
- Use Calendar view to help with family planning: see where you are in your cycle and to what extent you’re fertile on any particular day.
-Use Chart view to see a graph that follows your fertility signs to identify when you’re most fertile.
- Use Cycles viewto browse and compare the data from earlier cycles. Email cycle data to your doctor or health profession
Why to use this app
If you and your partner are looking for a natural, intuitive and intervention-free way to achieve pregnancy, this app is for you. It is easy to use and is intended for both novices and experienced natural family planners. In addition to helping you track your fertility signs, it provides detailed explanations so that you understand how the Fertility Awareness Method works.
As we were working on this app, we met Michal Schonbrun MPH, a certified teacher of FAM and an ardent proponent of the method. Michal generously shared her knowledge and extensive experience with us, and helped us with our explanatory texts regarding FAM. Based in Jerusalem, Israel, Michal teaches, trains teachers and gives lectures regarding FAM and other issues related to women’s health. We hope that the explanatory notes in Perfect Timing will help you understand your cycles better so that you can reach your goal.